Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Waterfalls in Winter...

Due to a combination of school vacation, snow all day, and Big Trouble recovering from a stomach virus, we stayed in and made some cards.  Miss Serious and I decided to try out something called a waterfall card which I've seen floating around these here internets, and here is my version.  I thought I'd include directions, in case anyone wants to play along at home.

The card is made up of 4 equal-sized images mounted on a long strip.  For this card, I used:

Card base: 6 X 6 1/2 folded white cardstock
Layers for front: 6 X 3 1/4 black, 5 7/8 X 3 1/8 pink, 5 5/8 X 2 7/8 polka dots
4 1 7/8 X 1 7/8 white squares
4 2 X 2 black squares
9 X 2 pink strip
3 1/3 X 3/4 pink strip

I stamped my images on the white squares and embossed with clear embossing powder.  I colored them in with Copic markers, and glued them onto the black squares.

The 9X2 pink strip gets scored at 2", 2 3/4", 3 1/2" and 4 1/4"; fold on the score lines to get clean folds.  

After gluing all the layers onto the front of the card, I attached the 3/4" strip with brads on either side.  It's important not to put adhesive on this strip.  Line up the long pink strip, with the scored side on top.  Place the unscored end under the strip secured with brads, and adhere only the edge closest to the score lines.  Adhere this right to the bottom edge of the short strip.

Adhere the first stamped image onto the square at the edge of this strip; then, adhere the remaining stamped images, but only on the top edge, where the pink strip is scored.  Repeat with the remaining images, then punch a hole and thread a ribbon on the bottom of the long strip.  I stamped a greeting above the ribbon, so that when the strip is pulled, the greeting is revealed.

I made a video of the card being pulled:

2 comments:

Bezzie said...

Very cool!

grmybmy said...

Don't you find it hard to compose the written directions? When I do a recipe,coming up with the "how to" is the hardest part--at least I think! You did a great job!