Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Am Weary, Let Me Rest

Yesterday, in a fit of hoarders induced de-cluttering (seriously, if you haven't checked out this show, it's worth a peek, if only to inspire you to clean out that closet that keeps getting more and more stuffed) I dug through the various hidey-holes in our little apartment (you wouldn't think there would be that many opportunities to amass stuff in this little space, but that's where you would be sorely mistaken....) and cleaned out a lot of the junk that I keep thinking I'll need someday, but never, in like 5 years, have I needed any of it. 

So, yesterday was a good day.  Today is looking less good, and here's why.  The Professor and I just returned from a consultation with an orthodontist for Miss Serious' apparently giant teeth.  Said giant teeth do not have room to fit in her tiny, almost 9-year old mouth, so she will soon be the proud owner of braces.  And we will soon be the proud owners of a monthly fee deducted from our credit card to pay for said braces (not to mention the 1/3 down-payment).  This isn't a crisis, it's why we save our pennies, and Miss Serious really needs to have the work done.

To add to the financial fun, I began the exciting process of refinancing our mortgage this week.  We had gotten a 7 year adjustable mortgage under the (apparently incredibly misguided) notion that we of course wouldn't still be living in this little apartment in 7 years.  Lo and behold, 7 years have come and almost gone (as of March), and as I'm not too excited about what the whole adjusting mortgage payments will do to my bottom line, we are refinancing.  Refinancing is expensive - like braces expensive.  However, we got a good rate, it's a fixed-rate 20 year mortgage, so it even shaved some time off the total loan, and now we don't have to deal with any adjusting.

And, after 20 years, if we're still here (and as the magic 8-ball would say, "All signs point to yes") we'll be paid in full.   Now let's hope the dog won't need braces.....

4 comments:

The Professor said...

Your financial prowess makes it all possible, MN. You rule!

Bezzie said...

Yup. When it rains it pours. But as long as it doesn't flood, it's all good.

grmybmy said...

The time does pass, doesn't it--good time or not! Man, if you're still in that apt in twenty years, I'll be 84 trying to do those 4 flights! Guess I'd better stay in shape!

Anonymous said...

I applaud your decision to stay where you are and make it work for you rather than being house poor.

After several years of yearning to (but being unable to) keep up with the Jonese I finally came to my senses a couple of years ago and decided to stay put, myself.