Monday, January 18, 2010

You're Looking for What?

The job hunt continues, and I must say, I'm become less and less enthused with the process.  The window for obtaining a full-time teaching job is absolute and short; as school starts in September, if you haven't gotten your job by then, you get to wait until the following year to try again.  In the meantime, there is always subbing, but as I've waxed rhapsodic on that topic once or twice, I shan't bore anyone again.

I was looking up job postings this weekend, and one caught my eye.  It was for a teacher at a charter school, and under the section labeled "Qualifications" (where you usually see degree required, experience needed, etc.) they listed that the applicant should have "zest, grit, and entrepreneurial spirit."  Hmmmmmm..... I get the reason for the zest and the grit, but entrepreneurial spirit eludes me - are they looking for someone particularly good at bake sales?

I decided that this job probably wouldn't be for me, as I'm not sure I actually have any of the aforementioned personality traits - do you think there's a job for someone with the qualities of anxiety, trepidation, and a judgmental spirit?  Yeah, I didn't think so. 

Now I have to figure how to make my cover letter zesty, gritty, and entrepreneurial - maybe I should ask them for money in an excited yet slightly street-smart way.....

1 comment:

Bezzie said...

Yeah I get the feeling we may be stuck in NJ for an extra year because of that "window." And then I fear the 3-years=tenure would suck us in even further. Sigh.

Good luck getting all gritty with it!