Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Doctors Rule

At least my doctor does. We started going to him several years back, when we first moved to the area. My previous doctor did not rule. He was always rushed, made me feel like I was taking up his time, and actually answered phone calls during my already incredibly short, rushed, visits. Now, I don't go to the doctor a lot, so it wasn't a big problem in my life, but irritating nontheless.

I ended up in my current doctor's office yesterday, because I seem to have the cough that will not leave. It had overstayed its welcome about a week ago, so after 2 weeks of hacking I decided it was time. They got me an appointment the same day, I didn't have to wait, and I was out of the office in 20 minutes (did I mention that my doctor rules?) with 2 prescriptions (one came with a coupon which covered the copay!) and an inhaler. This is the other wonderful thing about my doctor - if they have samples on hand, they give them out and save me the copay. Love them! I received all these items, because I was told my cough sounded "harsh" and that there was a dull sound in one of my lungs when I breathed, which if untreated could lead to pneumonia. Having gone down that road once before, and not anxious to travel it again, I dutifully filled all my prescriptions and was told to report back on Friday for another listen.

I ended up with an antibiotic, cough syrup with codeine, and an inhaler. The inhaler worried me. I've never had one before, and somehow got it in my head that it would do something unfortunate to me, so even though The Professor was away at a meeting, I waited until he got home to use it, lest it cause unconsciousness and I wouldn't be able to care for my sleeping children. I don't know what bothered me about it - I guess I've never taken medicine that way before, so as it is an unknown, I automatically worry that it will cause me grave harm. I know this makes no sense and is not normal, but hey, it's who I am.

After he got home, I checked the notes I had written in the office, (since having children I am unable to remember even the simplest of instructions) gathered up my courage, twisted the inhaler, took off the cap, worriedly breathed in, and....nothing. Apparently I didn't do it properly, so The Professor punched up the instructions on Google for me to use during tonight's dosing. Apparently my lungs aren't the only dull thing about me....

1 comment:

Bezzie said...

I had a coworker who was precribed an inhaler for the same type of cough. She had the same problems learning how to use it. don't worry! ;-)