Friday, December 19, 2008

Let It Snow!

Well, they said it was going to, and they were right. They even nailed the time that it would start - are meteorologists practicing black magic these days? Because of the mess the roads were going to become, the school declared a snow day. (This is what it looked like about an hour into the storm.) I was glad, because yesterday I taught Kindergarten, and I'm still recovering. I think that if I taught Kindergarten full time, I would probably have to start drinking at lunch (though I probably wouldn't lead with that statement at a job interview).

The kids were excited about the day off, and promptly began to plan one of their elaborate games; they have a room full of toys, but most of their time is occupied with imaginary games that they invent themselves. Today on their day off from school, they decided to play....school. Hmmm.

I have to admit, snow days were a lot more restful (though less interesting) before we had children. I could sleep late, and basically lounge around being lazy and doing what I wanted to do all day. All that is now over, however, and by about 9:30 I found myself telling the kids that if they didn't get it together, I was going to send them to school anyway and they could sit on the steps until 3:00. They decided to pull it together, and made this:

It's a gingerbread house kit that I picked up a few weeks ago (and have heard the question "But when are we going to make it?" pretty much every hour since). The kids had a good time, and did a lovely job. I liked this kit, and the gingerbread actually smelled delicious - the last one didn't have any odor at all - so now the living room smells like a bakery.

We capped off the afternoon with a trek outside (the wind was blowing the snow horizontally - what fun!) and we had a snowball fight. Age definitely has it's advantages when it comes to snowball fights - bigger hands can craft much larger snowballs than 6 & 7 year olds can, and we've learned not to throw our incompletely formed snow directly into the wind.

Happy snow day Miss Serious and Big Trouble - you sure know how to make a snow day fun.

1 comment:

grmybmy said...

I think the flag tells the whole story about that snow picture--I couldn't tell that it wasn't a black and white. Thank heavens for holiday celebrations--things would be pretty grim otherwise! Grmybmy