Sunday, January 2, 2011

Missed the Possum Drop

The new year is here, and we celebrated pretty much the same way we have for 15 years - at home with Chinese food, wine, and general good cheer.  When I was young and thought you were supposed to, I used to go out on New Year's Eve.  The night always had a whiff of desperation about it - everyone trying to have a good time, because, hey - it was New Year's Eve!!!!  After many years of overcrowded restaurants, dangerous drivers, and realizing it wasn't actually that much fun, I learned to embrace the quieter, happier entrance to the New Year.

I also used to make resolutions, but as they never got me very far, I've become a bit more philosophical about the whole thing, and just have general thoughts for the new year.  Who knows if it works better, but at least it doesn't make me feel like a failure when I invariably do something on Jan. 3rd that I've vowed not to do do and decide that the whole thing's off....

I also no longer try to stay up until midnight - I'm not a late night person, and I never quite got the whole dropping the ball thing, so giving it a miss is a relief.  I would however, if only the misguided folks in the media would cover it, stay up for the possum drop in  Brasstown, NC.




Happy New Year!  (The possum is released at the end - I wonder if they release the ball into Times Square?).

No comments: