Monday, February 18, 2008

Privacy

The internet is a funny thing. I really like seeing what people look like, and where they live, and to know pretty much everything about their lives (I am incurably nosy - as far back as I can remember, I have always wanted to know everyone's personal business). However, the world being what it is (and me being totally freaky a tad concerned about safety and privacy issues for my children) I decided that we would all have pseudonyms, so let me introduce you to the family!

I am married to a lovely man who will be referred to as The Professor (as he is a professor - clever, eh?). We have 2 children - a daughter, Miss Serious (6, almost 7) and a son, Big Trouble (5 - he named himself that, at about the age of 3, when he actually was, and while he's grown out of it by now, he still likes the name). I am mostly a stay-at-home mom, but do some adjunct college teaching to keep my resume from having such a huge chasm of emptiness in the middle.

We live in Westchester County, NY, one of the most expensive areas of the country. Being married to a college professor, and having left my elementary teaching job to raise the kids, I have learned the fine art of pinching pennies until they scream. To this end I spend an inordinate amount of time devouring frugal books, websites, tv shows - pretty much anything I can find. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment surrounded by highly paid lawyers and financial folk in beautiful and stately homes, but we love the area, enjoy the beach in the summer, and the schools can't be beat. It's a great place to live, and I count myself lucky every day (well, most days, but we won't talk about those right now).

(In reading this over, The Professor commented that there were an awful lot of parentheses - I voted to leave them all in - they are so embracing). ((())) (So there!)

No comments: